Pazzesco!
Pazzesco!

Friday, March 11, 2005


George Lucas is a fat plaid wearing bearded bastard
I'm not going to get my hopes up. I refuse to allow myself to be taken in. Not after the last two times. All I know is everytime I give it an ounce of faith, it ends up sucking more than I thought.

I think it was only a matter of time before I mentioned something Star Wars here. I mean I was close to being a full on Star Wars geek four years ago (I never dressed up, so I saved myself from geekdom in that respect.) That doesn't mean that I still don't enjoy the movies. The pull of course lies in the whole sci-fi genre, however the story arch is the true meat of the trilogy. General opinion is that the latest two movies just plain sucked. And it's not that they are overwrought with effects, its that they lack substantial dialogue and emotion. I will say that the second one was miles better than the first, but still lacked anything close to the old ones. For the final episode, I vowed to stay blacked out on knowing things. I would go into the movie if at all with little knowledge of what's going to happen so that the movie would at least have some unpredictability. There are volumes on the internet concerning these movies, and you can pretty much know the plot before you see it. However I just haven't paid attention to this one. Not withstanding I've pretty much written it off as a piece of junk already. But the new trailer premiered last night with "The O.C." Why the OC? I have no friggin clue. I doubt guys my age...no wait, guys at all are watching that terrible show. Plus, we all knewthat if we just put the TV on at 8:55, we wouldn't miss a thing. So I did. When the first trailer came out, I knew exactly what it was. Lots of clips, famous faces and random dialogue and sound effects. It did exactly what it's supposed to: tease us into wanting to knwo more. It was cool. The second longer trailer usually focuses more on plot, and this one did.

Unfortunately, I have to say that the movie could be good. Now don't get me wrong here, this isn't my stamp of approval, I have been steered wrong too many times by George Lucas to forget his past tansgressions, but he said it himself, or will in a "60 minutes" interview this weekend, that this movie will probably get a PG-13 rating due to violence. And the movie does seem to be going that way. It will probably be more violent, not Jesus violent, but nothing like we've seen here before. The only way to support that violence is to darken the mood; People can't die and then be happy. That's the problem with the first one. And the other way to support that violence is the use of dialogue and suspense to build up to moments of sheer loss and tragedy. That's the problem with the second one. I think the problem with the previous movies has been that the Star Wars universe was never meant to be a happy place. The organic clean lines of everything in the first two movies just never seemed to fit into place. This movie sets out to completely destroy that universe. That's why everyone and everything is so scarred in the first trilogy. To actually see that happen is what can possibly make this movie good. To actually erase the memory of those movies is what we all want, isn't it?

This movie has the potential to redeem the whole while at the same time destroy something that is a part of the story. Actually, that's where the plot of Star Wars goes really. If you look at the larger story arch of Darth Vader, we can come to the conclusion that the only way to stop the utter destruction of a way of life and redeem it, is to make big sacrifices along the way. Sometimes that means destryoing a part of something so that the rest eventually survives in some way.

QUICK NOTE: I'm a geek just for spendning this much time talking about a trailer.

Comments:
"Hurrah! to geekdom!"

~Nancy
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
© 1999-2013 pazzesco.