Pazzesco!
Pazzesco!

Saturday, October 16, 2004


Moldy Peaches and a one-eyed cat
It's times like these when I need to take some time out of ranting and raving from my BLOG brand soapbox and actually talk about an episode of my life. When I read other people's reruns I find them boring and pointless. In fact it usually reignites my hate for all things conventional. But I rely on the fact that as a strange and abnormal person, I am attracted to strange and abnormal events.

Federico informs me that his friend has invited him to go see a concert that is a benefit for a record store. Already this has got alternative written all over it. The record place is called "Accidental Records" and it's on 131 Avenue A. in the East Village. So go if you're ever in town. At this point, Wednesday night, we still didn't know what the heck the band was like. All we did know was the name: The Moldy Peaches. Sounded interesting enough to warrant a search through cyberspace. We found the band's website, and the front page and video was enough for us to say "Yes, we shall go see these Moldy Peaches." A quick hop on the ferry and we were in New York, headed towards the East Village to his friend's apartment.

I couldn't have planned out the scene better myself. We enter the apartment...tiny apartment: the walls are painted lime green, the bedroom is painted pumpkin orange, the hallway is 2 feet wide, the living room area is squeezed with IKEA furniture (they had the klippan, the non leather version of this couch that I owned for 3 years and now sits behind me in Erika's apartment), the marijuana was being smoked and the alcohol was just enough to go around many times. Oh and did I mention, she had a one-eyed cat named Miso...like the soup. There were about 8 of us in this apartment, and the intimate setting allowed me to get to know some of these people rather quickly. I mean I was on top of them. After a quick tour (about 10 seconds), a bunch of drinks, we went on our way to The Hook in Brooklyn.

I'll save you the trouble of having to hear about the kindly bum who gave us directions when we got off the L train, the lazy eyed journeyman who found us, and the shaky concrete bridge over the Gowanus that we delicately traversed. These are stories for another day. The concert itself was fantastic. The first two bands just didn't spark my interest, but the Moldy Peaches were quite cool. Their music was straightforward, quirky, and very catchy. If I could compare them to anything it would be the Polyphonic Spree with less people, and singing about dirty things. I've already begun downloading what I can find, and am even interested in possibly buying the CD! A true important sign being that I never buy CDs; so that had to be that good. Top the night off with some Pabst Blue Ribbon (Pat I drank those to you buddy), a food bar that served grilled cheese and PB&J, and some great conversations, and well; I had an awesome evening.

Afterwards, we were cordially invited to stay at his friend's apartment, as in not to have to do the bizarro commute home at 3:00 in the morning. To accommodate, they were able to half-inflate an Aerobed, to fit halfway into a room, which I found most impressive. And of course things came full circle for me, and I ended the night the same way I ended many long nights at school: asleep on the klippan couch. That is of course until I woke up to a one-eyed cat standing on my chest looking into my eyes...eye...face.

QUICK NOTE: I would have voted for Kerry.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
© 1999-2013 pazzesco.