Pazzesco!
Pazzesco!

Tuesday, October 05, 2004


Bizarro Villanova!
I like travel. It's something I've generally accepted. I don't plane much, but car trips are always fun. Whether I'm alone or with Erika, or even a large group of people, I always seem to enjoy myself. For instance, this past weekend I went to Yale...as in the college. The reason I went was because my old forensics team was going and my coach needed someone to judge; Federico and I tagged along. Actually, the secret reason I went was because I really like the Yale campus. In fact I should have applied when I went to college. Bit I didn't so I'll never know if I could have made it in or not. Whatever! On to the point.

The point is, while the campus is beautiful and the weather was enjoyable, I saw something very odd. It seemed to be like your regular old college campus. Sunday morning: giant bags of clanging bottles were being brought out of dorms, a rug that was soaking wet for some mysterious reason was drying in the sun, and the campus wasn't populated until at least 2:00 in the afternoon; probably when the majority of the campus decided to wake up. But underlying all this, I like to believe that these people are very intelligent. That they are extremely smart. That's what I am convinced of when I think of Yale. Thus, the plague of self-centeredness that is Villanova, should not be at a place in a college like Yale. Unfortunately this is not the case. Mixed among the smart people, I saw a numerous amount of flipped collars, bleached blondes, and tennis skirts. WHAT WAS HAPPENING HERE? How did these morons slip through the cracks at admissions? Contrary to the status-quo, I do judge books by their cover, mostly because the cover and the pages were created at the same time. So when I see girls like these, I'm going to think, "There goes a bunch of bitches."

You must be thinking, "Tom, this is obviously you looking too hard at things, and fashion is something that dumb and smart people are slave to." Well, I'd agree, but the numbers don't lie. For example the number of collars at Villanova, are about equal to the number of normal looking people at Yale. Also there are people at Villanova who are normal, and that number equates to the number of collars at Yale. The only answer to this quandary could be that more intelligent family members of these "Bizarro Students" went to Yale, and that's the only reason why they got in.

But this makes you think about the Bizarro subculture that must exist at Yale. Where the fraternities and sororities are just that, a brotherhood and such for the whole campus, not a select few. That there is a small Bizzaro sorority and fraternity for the rejects. Where the arts program doesn't get second to the women's softball team, and collard girls are the ones searching for money in the most random of locations. I want to believe that Yale is a Bizzaro Villanova, where all the transgressions I found with one school are no longer a problem, and all the things I hate are only apparent in minute portions.

So I left Yale with this interpretation, and while it may be a dream that isn't reality, there is always going to be a spot in New Haven Connecticut that justifies the human condition, and isn't a complete waste of space and time.

QUICK NOTE: Ask me how many cell phones I saw? Two. Out of the whole campus, I saw two people with cell phones. The truth is out there. And here's some Bizarro for you.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
© 1999-2013 pazzesco.