Pazzesco!
Pazzesco!

Friday, September 24, 2004


iPugs?
I've have come to realize, through my working and commuting into New York, that there are two things that an unusual amount of New Yorkers have. One is the iPod. Two is the pug..the dog. Why is this? For starters, I think the whole iPod thing has gotten way out of hand. Originally it was something cool, and only a few people had them. Those people were the bringers of hipness and creativity. But now everyone has one. From the twelve year old rich kid, to the fifty year old wrinkly runner, the iPod has become the exact opposite of what it was developed for. It's now a status symbol and not a "fight the machine" device. I mean, they sell them with BMW's now! And you know that everyone who has one wants you to see that they have it. Even if the device is put away, they will always be wearing the white headphones. For goodness sake people, the whole point of MP3's is freedom and expression, not "look at the money I spent." As a natural extension of the MP3 revolution, the iPod was destined to become a physical embodiment of this freedom with the exception of iTunes. The whole iTunes thing, while useful and legal, ends up being a rip off anyway. If I paid a buck for every song I've downloaded, then I'd be $2800 in the hole. My musical journey should never have to cost that much. Now with the lowering in price, having an iPod seems to be the next cell phone. Just think about this: if these things were really meant for everyone, then you wouldn't see the silhouettes of hip young dancers, but of stuffy rich yuppies, tritely walking on their way to work in those commercials.

As for the pugs; well this one is a little more difficult. I would argue that the pug has become the new "it" dog of modern times. Like the golden retriever of the 80's. I could only assume it's partially due to Men in Black because of the talking pug "Frank." I would also guess due to its popularity, the pug is now more featured in commercials, thus making it more visually recognizable. Whatever the case, I see at least five a day in Manhattan. And I will admit that I have wanted one myself. They possess a bug-eyed ugliness that gives them a certain personality.

So you're probably wondering if I have seen an iPod owner walking his/her pug? Well I have. Is this where New York is going? Are we all destined to walk soullessly through the city, listening to our hip music, trailing behind a stubby little dog? Why don't we just stop kidding ourselves and give the dog a damn iPod too? I'm sure in a matter of time the pugs will begin to get jealous, revolt against their owners, thieve their iPods and start a new economic society based on music somewhere. Now there's a sight. Society driven pugs on their way to work listening to iPods. Kind of ridiculous, don't you think?


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.
© 1999-2013 pazzesco.